TutorialsPhotobucketSponsorsPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, July 1, 2012

mint and gold bedroom set

When I lost out of the One Artsy Mama craft competition I was so sad. I had been looking forward to the stencil round the entire competition and I didn't even get to participate. After loosing I decided I would still complete my stencil project on my own so here it is! For my latest upcycle project I stenciled a headboard and antique trunk which would be included in a full sized bedroom set upcycle. I found all of the furniture included at garage sales I found this headboard and footboard at a garage sale for $20 dollars.


I found these night stands for $6 dollars a piece.
 I also found this dresser for another $20 dollars.

I had all the furniture I needed for a full size bedroom set. Now all I needed was some inspiration.
I was on my way home from garage saleing one Saturday morning when I saw a sign that had not been up when I passed by earlier. I decided to stop and found this amazing old trunk and these two whicker ottomans. I paid $3 dollars for the trunk and $1 dollar a piece for the ottomans! $5 dollars for all of it! GREAT STEAL!
I love the paper on the inside of the trunk too!
 With this, I had my inspiration. I wanted to do a bedset that was a shade lighter than the old trunk with white and gold accents. After I picked out my paint color I got to work.
I used a deglosser to rough up my surface and help my paint adhere a little better. A deglosser is a liquid that cuts out your sanding step and saves you lots of time! Then I primed, painted and glazed each piece of furniture. I also decided I wanted to do a stencil on my headboard and old trunk so I ran over to my neighbors and designed a stencil on her Sure Cuts A Lot. I really wish this program was still around! Then we used freezer paper and cut my stencil design out with her Cricut machine. 
I used freezer paper because it can be ironed on to almost anything! After bringing my stencil home I ironed it onto my headboard and the top of my trunk.
Make sure all of your edges are ironed down really good that way the paint can't sneak under them. I used a Martha Stewart pearl gold metallic paint and dabbed it on to give it a textured look.


After your done painting your stencil on take your paper off right away. I made the mistake of waiting too long on the trunk and my paint came off with my stencil. I had to go make another stencil and re paint it on.
  
My final step was to put a clear coat over the top of all my furniture and I was done! 
Here are my before and after pictures.
Before
After



Before
After



Before 
 After

 Before


After


I love the colors and how everything turned out.  My original plan was to fix it up and sell it but I am so tempted to keep it! It's a little too big for my guest bedroom though! So sad! 
Thank you for reading and I hope you all will stop by and join us over at Garage Sales R Us!


12 comments:

  1. LOVE it!! I am in love with it all....and how about that trunk, what a great deal!

    I didn't make it past the fabric round of the crafty contest, but I was sure voting for you along the way!

    Great job!! And awesome inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to come garage sale-ing with you! I never find anything like that in Orlando!! I am obsessed with the mint colour right now and that bedroom set is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks AMAZING! let's go garage saleing ;) i feel like we could do some serious damage haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robin! Great finds and beautiful makeovers! I don't blame you for wanting to keep them. They are all gorgeous pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, there! Thanks for visiting me and following Sister-Dipity. It was funny to get your blog message because I just got home from a day out with my sister and all of our kids. On the way home from our outting I was begging her to go garage saleing with me tomorrow! We were figuring out how to do it with or without the kids! Then I came home and saw my message from you here at Garage Sales R Us! :) I think it is a sign. I love your blog and this bedroom set you re-did is amazing! Super cool and very inspirational! I am your new follower!

    -Rebecca
    www.sister-dipity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been on here for a good hour just reading all your posts and so I figured I should leave a comment! I love love love your blog, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post with beautiful pictures. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information, I maintain such information a lot. I used to be seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

    Thanks & Regards,
    antique furniture

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you use the Martha Stewart gold on the tall dresser?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an amazing set! Thank you... If you want more information about bedroom set. Please, click here. top9home

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this Post and this is very informative blog . Thank you for sharing such like of information.for more information about this you can also visit our site.Modern Bedroom Furniture Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE it!! I am in love with it all....and how about that trunk, what a great deal! I used to be seeking this certain information for a long time. Thanks for this. I am also an art designer for home decor. I would like tell you about my blog Best Pattern Wallpaper Color for home decor.

    ReplyDelete