TutorialsPhotobucketSponsorsPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mod Podge Dressers


Check out my tutorial on how to Mod Podge dresser drawers Here

After posting my Final Reveal about my little girls bedroom set I had a few people ask me how I did the dresser and night stands. It was so simple and I love the way the dressers turned out. 

Here are my before pictures
Here is a close up of the dressers
 And here is my after pictures again!







Here is how I did it.

First, I painted the grooves of the dresser drawers.
I tried to do it as neatly as possible but it obviously didn't work that great. If you are using a paint brush and the paint gets outside of the grooves wipe it off before it dries. If you don't you will be able to see brush stokes through your top coat of your second color (in my case the teal). Then I painted the rest of dresser and drawers with this paint that I bought at the Re store for $1.50! If your constantly doing paint projects buying paint at the Re store or garage sales is a great way to keep your cost down. Just be aware that you may need to shake up your can really good before you begin so that your paint is mixed evenly. You can also try take it to Lowes or Home Depot and ask them to shake it up for you. For this project my total paint cost was $3 dollars! 
After my dressers where painted I went to a few scrapbook paper stores to pick out my paper.
I found two that I really liked and taped them on the dresser to get a better idea of what they would look like on my dresser
This is the one that made the final cut!
 When you are picking out your paper make sure you choose a cardstock paper. This is much more durable than regular paper and will be easier to work with. I then cut out my paper to the right size for my drawers. I used 11 pieces of paper and cut each piece of paper the same so that each drawer looked identical. I then put a thin layer of mod podge onto my drawer front. Applying a thin coat of mod podge during this step will help keep your project from bubbling . This is obviously not the same drawer but I forgot to take a picture of that step in this project
Then you will apply your paper. Use a vinyl applicator to smooth out your bubbles. Begin in the middle and work your way outward. If you don't have a vinyl applicator use a credit card. Don't worry about covering the holes for the handles. We will poke a nail through our paper later to recreate the holes for the handles.  This picture is from the same project as the above picture. I have been working on getting this post up for a while. It is a tutorial on how to wrap your dresser drawers in scrapbook paper. Be looking for that soon!
After my paper was on my drawer front I then took my eyebrow scissors and trimmed the excess paper off. Yes, I know eyebrow scissors are a funny thing to keep in your craft box but let me tell you, EVERYONE needs a pair! These scissors are great for getting into small spaces. They also have a curve to the blades which makes getting close to an edge very easy.
After I trimmed off my excess paper I took a sanding block and gently sanded down the paper edge to give it a more straight line and finished look.

After that you will need to seal your paper so that it is protected and wipeable. To do this, spread another layer of mod podge on top of your paper. If your paper begins to bubble don't freak out. Just dip your finger in mod podge and in a circular motion gently begin to rub our bubble out. DO NOT touch your wet project without mod podge on your fingers! If your not careful you will pull the top layer of your paper (the one with your color, and pattern on it) off. When working out your bubble you will also want to make sure your fingers stay well covered in mod podge. If they start to get sticky and your bubble is still not worked out then re dip your finger in the mod podge and keep going until the bubble is gone. If you can't work your bubble out then leave it alone. In my experience when the paper gets wet with the mod podge it expands. Once your paper dries it should contract and look fine.

 After my drawers were mod podged I took my handles outside and spray painted them a yellow that matched my headboard.
When you are ready to attach your handles use a nail and from the inside of the dresser drawer slowly poke a hole through the paper. Wiggle the nail around to make the hole bigger if needed. Then attach your handles and you have a beautiful dresser like mine!

Check out my tutorial on how to Mod Podge dresser drawers Here

I loved this little bed set so much that I even did a photo session with it! The headboard I bought at the ReStore in Vegas and the little old books were bought at a garage sale. I bought 12 books and paid $4 dollars for them. Each book was only .33 cents a piece!









My two beautiful babies!


Linking up to to One Artsy Mama Craft Contest







20 comments:

  1. woah! SO beautiful! Love what you did here!


    --kendall
    songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Such a fun way to find new purpose for garage sale pieces. Thanks so much for entering One Crafty Contest and Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Looks fanTAStic!! Love the pics of the girls too. :) Thanks for entering One Crafty Contest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow the dresser looks so awesome! and your little girls are so beautiful :)
    thanks for stopping by my blog, I love yours! added to the daily reading list xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an amazing job on the dresser, I love it! Your babies are just precious and they look very happy with their new room :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness!! This is amazing! I just spotted you at the One Crafty Contest, you got my vote! Now following too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these dressers! Your babies are beautiful too! I think I have that paper here...going to have use it!

    Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I hope you win! You deserve it :)
    janiene

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are super fun, and cute!! and totally original, no one will have anything like it! :) Thanks for being the newest follower of my blog, JHouseTawk.. I'm following back ;) have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!!! I just saw that you were in the top 20 with these dressers. GREAT job! Good luck in the competition! I'll be rooting for you : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beyond awesome, GREAT JOB!!! I totally wanna do this with a few pieces in my home, thanks for the inspiration!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! I need to that with my bed and the backs of a few bookcases I have... I am a new follower from the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i thought the headboard couldnt get any cuter then i saw the girls!! gah!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE the dresser and nightstands and your beautiful girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you use modpodge to seal just the paper or the whole dresser? Or did you use something else, like poly? I am doing something like this to a bookshelf and my toddler has found edges and has begun ripping off my cardstock paper! I was thinking of fixing it and cover it in poly. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! Those don't even look like the same handles either! Before you painted them they looked old fashioned and out of date and the yellow paint just brought them to life! Amazing transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What do you recommend if your drawer front is larger than a single piece of cardstock? Just try to match up two sheets and hide the seam as best as possible?

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! Looks fanTAStic!! Love the pics of the girls too. :) Thanks for entering One Crafty Contest! I am also an interior designer. I would like to tell you about my blog Best Pattern Wallpaper Color for home decor.

    ReplyDelete